Using Sights And Smells To Sell A Property
When appraising properties to buy, people don't make decisions based on cold, hard facts alone; emotions rule too. As a property seller, you can take advantage of this fact to make your house more attractive to prospective buyers. Here is a brief overview of how you can harness the power of sights and smells to sell your house:
Here, you want to capitalize on what your prospective buyers will see when they come to view the property. You want your buyers to see your house and picture themselves living in it. Here are some ways to do that:
- Leave your closets half empty – crowded closets give the impression that the house doesn't have enough storage places.
- Light up the house – bright lights make rooms seem big.
- Paint the house a neutral color – neutral colors makes rooms seem bigger, and they are also less likely to turn off people as compared to screaming colors such as lime green.
- Clean up nice – sparkling rooms are more appealing than dull ones.
- Hang some mirrors on the walls – this makes the rooms look brighter and bigger.
Pay attention to your fences, yard, and exterior walls too; you want the first impression of your home to be the best.
Obviously, the first thing to do here is to get rid of bad odors such as drain odors or cigarette smoke. Cleaning the house, clearing the drains, and opening up the windows will usually get rid of bad odor. Bowls of vinegar, placed in strategic places around the house, will usually help in getting rid of stubborn smells fast. The vinegar smell will dissipate fast when you open all the windows and doors.
When it comes to smells, however, it isn't just enough to get rid of the bad smells. Introducing inviting and alluring smells will draw people to your house. According to U.S. News, here are some of the scents that will make your house alluring:
- Vanilla – use vanilla extracts in open jars
- Citrus – orange rinds in the garbage disposal will work wonders for the kitchen
- Relaxing essential oils, such as lavender – warm them or add a few drops in cotton balls and hide in strategic places
- Pine – a wreath of fresh trimmings will do
These are general guidelines. You should also know your target clients and tailor-make your sights and sounds to fit their desires and expectations. A brief market research will help you do this, or you can enlist the help of your real estate agent for professional advice.